Physical Education at St Michael's
At St Michael’s Primary School, we aim to instil a passion for PE and sports to ensure that every child has the opportunity to be the best they can in their PE lessons, sport and active playtimes. The curriculum is designed to develop fundamental movement skills and to give all pupils the knowledge and cultural capital they need to succeed in life. We aim to develop and challenge pupils’ abilities in a range of physical activities and sports – helping them to develop their fitness and instil values of determination, respect, encouragement, body language and communication.
The aims of Physical Education at St Michael’s are:
- To include all pupils in physical activity and give them the opportunity to reach their full potential regardless of ability, age or gender.
- To increase pupils’ participation and enjoyment of physical activity within and outside curriculum meeting the Government’s recommendation (two hours of high quality PE a week).
- To encourage lifelong involvement in physical activity.
- To promote physical activity, physical skills development and a healthy lifestyle.
- To develop the concept of fair play by having positive attitudes towards understanding and applying the conventions and rules of competition.
- To respect our Christian Values and think of them during P.E.
- All pupils across the school to have a chance to compete and take part in a variety of clubs.
Swimming is taught in Year 1 through to Year 6.
Summer 2022: 93% of the cohort are able to swim unaided for 25 metres.
Extra Curricular Activities